On Saturday morning, a pedestrian was struck and killed at a South Carolina intersection. According to WLOS ABC News Channel 13, the incident happened sometime before 1:30 a.m. at the intersection of Chesnee Highway and Gossett Road in Cherokee Springs. Very little information has been released about this collision, which killed 46-year-old Doyle Burke. He was pronounced dead on the scene. At this time, there's no word on how this crash happened. Could alcohol have been a factor? Although this incident is still under investigation with the South Carolina Highway Patrol, no information has been released about the driver or any potential charges involved.
2012 Pedestrian Traffic Safety Facts
• 4,743 pedestrians were killed in traffic crashes.
• Pedestrian deaths accounted for 14 percent of all traffic fatalities for the year.
• 90 percent of pedestrian fatalities involved only a single vehicle.
• Pedestrians made up three percent of all people injured in motor vehicle crashes for the year.
• More than one-fifth of the children, ages 10 to 15, killed in motor vehicle wrecks were pedestrians.
• 32 percent of pedestrian fatalities happened between 8:00 p.m. and 11:59 p.m.
• Alcohol involvement, for either driver or pedestrian, was reported in nearly half of all fatal pedestrian crashes (48 percent).
• In 2012, pedestrian deaths increased six percent from the previous year.
Everyone is a Pedestrian
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) "Everyone is a Pedestrian" campaign offers motorists and pedestrians a variety of great tips to improve safety for all roadway users. Pedestrians can certainly improve their safety by using crosswalks, when available, observing all traffic signs and signals and by trying to be predictable. Unfortunately, that's not always enough. Motorists need to be on the lookout for pedestrians, cyclists and motorcycle riders. It doesn't matter how visible you are, if a driver is checking Facebook or texting behind the wheel.
After a Pedestrian Accident
If you have been injured or someone you love has been struck and killed, contact an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible. A skilled lawyer can stay on top of official investigative developments and help see you through this difficult time. The team at Davis Law Group, P.A. sends their deepest condolences to the family members and friends of Doyle Burke.