On Monday, a huge gas leak injured at least three workers in Anderson County. According to WLOS ABC News Channel 13, the gas leak happened at a distribution center. Apparently, work crews were performing routine maintenance on a 27-inch main distribution line when it burst. Gas was reportedly shooting more than 100 feet in the air. Three workers were transported to the hospital for treatment of injuries. Emergency responders were swiftly on the scene pouring a foam blanket over the area. Thankfully, they were able to prevent the further danger of a possible explosion. Anderson County citizens within a half mile of the leak were asked to take shelter in place while first responders contained the situation.
The Dangers of Gas Leaks and Explosions
Gas leaks and explosions can be incredibly dangerous and even fatal for victims. Severe burn injuries are often associated with gas explosions. The volatile gas can quickly ignite and explode. Deadly explosions can even happen in conditions when very little gasoline is involved. Not much information has been released on how the 27-inch gas main burst. The incident may still be under investigation. Anytime a gas main breaks, especially one that shoots gas 100 feet in the air, there is a potential for devastating and catastrophic injuries. Thankfully, first responders were able to contain the leak before an explosion happened.