Texting while driving and other forms of distracted driving have become a dangerous epidemic in North Carolina and across the nation. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s (NHTSA’s) “One Text or Call Could Wreck it All” campaign is all about raising awareness about the dangers of distracted driving, specifically texting behind the wheel. It only takes an instant of inattention to make a devastating, catastrophic or fatal error behind the wheel. Even just reading a text message can put your life and the lives of others on the line.
Distracted Driving Accidents in Asheville
When drivers are focusing on their cell phones, GPS software or other electronic devices, they’re not paying attention to the road. Even a cell phone conversation can be a dangerous distraction behind the wheel. Anytime a driver’s manual, visual or cognitive attention is taken away from the task of driving, they’re distracted driving. It’s not uncommon to see drivers drift out of their lanes or cross centerlines when they’re distracted. One text or call could wreck it all.
Distracted Driving Facts Across the U.S.
• In 2011, 3,360 people were killed in distracted driving crashes.
• In 2012, 3,328 people were killed in crashes involving distracted drivers.
• An estimated 387,000 people were injured in distracted driving wrecks in 2011.
• An estimated 421,000 people were injured in distracted driving crashes in 2012.
• Drivers in their 20’s make up over a quarter of all distracted drivers in fatal crashes.
• About 153.3 billion text messages are sent across the U.S. every month.
After a Distracted Driving Accident
Cases of distracted driving aren’t always immediately apparent to law enforcement officers on the scene, so it’s a good idea to contact a lawyer if you suspect distracted driving could have been the cause of an accident you were injured in. Whether it was a case of texting behind the wheel or talking on the phone, a distracted driving wreck can leave victims in the hospital, or worse.
If you have been injured or if you have lost a loved one in a distracted driving accident, contact the skilled personal injury team at Davis Law Group, P.A. at 866-397-2897 for a free case consultation today.