On Sunday, a crash on Charlotte Highway took the life of a South Carolina woman. According to WLOS ABC News Channel 13, the one-car crash happened near Upper Brush Creek Road, sometime before 8:00 p.m. Apparently, the vehicle crossed the centerline, struck a tree and overturned beside the roadway. A passenger in the vehicle, 37-year-old Jenifer Bowen of Isle of Palms, South Carolina, died on the scene. The driver, 35-year-old Michael Wells of Fairview, and another passenger were both transported to Mission Hospital for treatment of injuries.
Alcohol and Speed Factors in Deadly Crash
At this time, the cause of this crash is ongoing, but initial reports indicate that alcohol and speed were factors. According to troopers, the car was going an estimated 70 miles per hour at the time of the crash. The speed limit was 45 miles per hour in that area. The driver, Michael Wells, has been charged with DWI, and there could be other charges after a full investigation is completed. WLOS ABC News Channel 13 does report that everybody was wearing a seat belt at the time of the crash.
The Facts on Drunk Driving
- In 2013, there were 10,076 fatalities in crashes involving a drunk driver.
- Fatalities in drunk driving crashes accounted for 31 percent of total traffic deaths in 2013.
- On average in 2013, one alcohol-impaired-driving fatality happened every 52 minutes in 2013.
- In 2010, the estimated economic cost of drunk driving crashes in the U.S. was $49.8 billion.
- In 2013, the 21- to 24-year-old age group had the highest percentage of alcohol-impaired drivers in fatal crashes.
Drunk Driving Accidents in Asheville
Drunk driving accidents in Asheville and around the nation are 100 percent preventable. With the upcoming holiday season, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration will continue to raise awareness about the dangers, risks and costs associated with alcohol-impaired driving. They also want motorists to know that “buzzed driving” is drunk driving too. Even one drink can be one too many.
The team at Davis Law Group, P.A. sends their deepest condolences to Jenifer Bowen’s family members, friends and loved ones. We also wish everybody involved full and swift recoveries from their injuries.