Early Tuesday morning, a suspected drunk driving crash had a portion of Haywood Road closed down for hours. According to WLOS ABC News Channel 13, the incident happened near the intersection of Baker Avenue, sometime around 1:00 a.m. The vehicle struck a telephone pole and knocked it down in the roadway. First responders and crews were on the scene, where a new telephone pole had to be installed. The driver, Charles Giezentanner III, was arrested and charged with DWI, reckless driving to endanger, driving with a revoked license, hit and run, leaving the scene and causing property damage.
Impaired Driving Crashes in The U.S.
- In 2013, 10,076 people were killed in crashes involving a drunk driver.
- Fatalities in crashes involving drunk drivers accounted for 31 percent of total traffic fatalities for the year.
- An average of one alcohol-impaired driving fatality occurred every 52 minutes in 2013.
- The estimated economic cost of drunk driving crashes in the U.S. in 2010 was $49.8 billion.
- In 2013, the 21- to 24-year-old age group had the highest percentage of drivers in fatal crashes, with BAC levels of .08 or higher (33 percent).
Preventable Injury-Causing and Fatal Crashes
Drunk driving crashes are 100-percent preventable. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is currently publicizing their annual holiday drunk driving prevention campaign. Sadly, the holidays are known for having a spike in injury causing and fatal drunk driving crashes. The NHTSA is encouraging party goers and anybody who is celebrating the holiday season with alcohol to designate a driver, call a cab or find some other safe ride home. No matter what, don’t get behind the wheel if you’ve been drinking.
Drunk Driving Accidents in Asheville
Drunk driving accidents can leave victims in the hospital and out of work for who knows how long. The holiday season is an especially difficult time to deal with medical bills, lost wages and painful injuries. After any kind of car accident due to somebody else’s dangerous driving, it’s important to speak with an experienced and proven personal injury lawyer.
If you have been injured or if you have lost a loved one in a crash involving a drunk driver in Asheville or the surrounding communities, contact the skilled team at Davis Law Group, P.A. at 866-397-2897 for a free case consultation.