On Saturday afternoon, four people were injured in a multi-car crash involving a police officer in Marion. According to WLOS ABC News Channel 13, the incident happened sometime after 11:30 a.m. along North Main Street. Sergeant Corey Loftis, with the Marion Police Department, was responding to a call when a Honda struck his patrol car. The driver of the Honda, Frank McMillian, was reportedly trying to make a left turn into the Hospice Resale shop prior to the crash. When the patrol car was hit, it slammed into two parked vehicles. The chain-reaction crash caused a parked vehicle to hit a pedestrian on the scene.
Marion Crash Injures Police Officer
A portion of North Main had to be closed as first responders and crews worked the scene. At least four people, including the pedestrian and the police officer, were injured in this incident. At this time, the collision is under investigation with the North Carolina Highway Patrol. Although none of the injuries were initially reported as life threatening, there has been no word on anybody’s condition or the extent of their injuries.
U.S. Car Crash Statistics
- In 2014, there were 29,989 fatal crashes in the U.S.
- In those crashes, 32,675 people were killed.
- There were 6,064,000 police-reported crashes in 2014.
- Approximately 2,338,000 people were injured in crashes in 2014.
- In 2014, 178 pedestrians were injured each day in the U.S.
- Speeding was a factor in 28 percent of car-crash fatalities in 2014.
- In 2014, approximately 111,000 people were injured in crashes involving large trucks.
- Approximately 50,000 cyclists were injured in crashes in 2014.
Multi-Car Accidents in Asheville
Multi-car accidents can sometimes take a lengthy period of time for law enforcement agencies to investigate. If you’re recovering from a car accident involving more than two vehicles, and no charges or citations have been made, it’s a good idea to speak with an experienced personal injury attorney about your claim and possible case. An attorney can be your advocate and stay on top of any official investigative details as they arise.
The team at Davis Law Group, P.A. wishes everybody who was injured in this crash swift and full recoveries from their injuries.