On Monday morning, a semi truck overturned on Old Chunns Cove Road in Asheville. According to WLOS ABC News Channel 13, the incident happened at about 9:00 a.m. near Tunnel Road. The truck driver, 40-year-old Ricky Clayton of Dade City, Florida, was reportedly unfamiliar with the area. He drove the big rig up Beaucatcher Road, over the tunnel and went left of center. His truck went off the embankment and overturned. Thankfully, there were no other vehicles involved in the crash. Crews were on the scene for hours clearing the wreckage and dealing with the frozen meat cargo he was hauling.
Asheville Semi Truck Crash
Clayton and his girlfriend were transported to Mission Hospital for treatment of injuries. Their injuries included a concussion, lacerations and contusions. Clayton was charged with driving left of center. Additionally, the North Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles (NCDMV) Motor Carrier Unit will be inspecting the vehicle in the event of any further violations and charges. At the time of the crash, the truck was reportedly fully loaded, and it weighed in at 77,000 pounds.
U.S. Commercial Trucking Statistics
- In 2014, there were 3,903 people killed in crashes involving large trucks across the nation.
- An estimated 438,000 large trucks were involved in police-reported crashes in 2014.
- An estimated 111,000 people were injured in crashes involving large trucks in 2014.
- An estimated 95,000 people were injured in crashes involving large trucks in 2013.
- 73 percent of people killed in crashes involving large trucks were occupants in other vehicles in 2014.
Asheville Truck Accident Lawyer
Accidents involving semi trucks can be devastating, catastrophic and even fatal for passenger occupants and drivers in smaller vehicles. Trucks weighing up to 80,000 pounds can’t stop on a dime, and if truck drivers or trucking companies are in violations of federal safety regulations, they’re putting their own lives and the lives of others at great risk for injury causing and potentially fatal crashes.
If you have been injured or if you have lost a loved one in a truck accident in or around the Asheville area, contact the skilled and proven team at Davis Law Group, P.A. at 866-397-2897 for a free case consultation today.