Over the weekend, icy conditions in and around Asheville had traffic at a standstill on many local roadways. According to WLOS ABC News Channel 13, some drivers were stuck on primary roads, highways and interstates for hours at a time. Some roads, including Interstate 40 at the bottom of Old Fort Mountain, had to be closed for safety. Highway patrol troopers in Western North Carolina report nearly 400 calls for service during the wintery weather conditions. Some of the roads were so slippery that first responders couldn’t get to the wreckage. Many people abandoned their vehicles to walk home in the cold. Listed below are AAA’s tips for safe driving in winter weather conditions.
AAA’s Tips For Winter Weather Driving Safety
- Stay home, if you can.
- Know your brakes- are they antilock?
- Reduce your speed to the conditions of the roadway.
- Accelerate and decelerate slowly.
- Don’t drive if you’re fatigued.
- Always make sure your have at least a half a tank of fuel before driving.
- Always look and steer where you want to go.
- Don’t use cruise control on any slippery surface or during any wet, icy or snowy conditions.
- Keep tires properly inflated.
- Never mix radial tires with other types of tires.
Do You Know Your Brakes?
One of the most important aspects of driving in wintry weather is knowing what kind of brakes you have. Whether you have antilock brakes or not, the best way to stop is threshold breaking. AAA reports that you should keep the heel of your foot on the floor and use the ball of your foot to apply firm, steady pressure on the brake pedal.
Winter Weather Accidents in Asheville
If you’re facing a possibly dangerous commute due to wintery weather, it may be a good idea to stay home. When possible, avoid going out in extremely poor weather conditions. With fewer vehicles on potentially treacherous roads, first responders will have a safer time getting to emergencies.
If you have been injured or if you have lost a loved one in a car accident in Asheville or in any of the surrounding Western North Carolina communities, contact the skilled and proven Personal Injury team at Davis Law Group, P.A. at 828-279-7799 for a free case consultation today.